The Coastal Virginia - Hampton Roads Region
This region continues to draw visitors year after year. There's so much to see and do year 'round that you'll definitely be glad you came.
The Historic Triangle
Visit Historic Jamestown, the Birthplace of English-speaking America, as well as Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center in Williamsburg.
Nearby attractions include:
- James River Plantations
- Colonial National Historical Park
- Colonial Williamsburg, the nation's largest living history museum, is actually a functional colonial town itself, and one of the most popular destinations in the world!
- Families, be sure to visit Busch Gardens theme park, voted the most beautiful theme park in the world, and soaking-wet fun Water Country USA !
- Golfers, this region is home to some of the best award-winning golf courses in the country.
Twenty-nine miles of Atlantic Oceanfront are accessible on the expanded white sands of Virginia Beach, with its famous paved Boardwalk and free seasonal events.
Enjoy outdoor activities as well as these popular sites:
- Cape Henry Lighthouses - the oldest was built in 1792
- Old Coast Guard Station
- Mount Trashmore Park
- False Cape State Park and First Landing State Park - where the English first landed before moving up-river to Jamestown.
In Norfolk, port of Cruise Norfolk , where large ocean liners dock at Nauticus, The National Maritime Center, you can see the Battleship Wisconsin, with tours given by navy personnel from the Hampton Roads Naval Museum next door.
The coastal cities of Newport News, Hampton and Portsmouth offer:
- The Mariners' Museum and Park, Newport News
- Virginia Living Museum, Newport News
- U.S. Army Transportation Museum, Newport News
- Fort Monroe, "Freedom's Fort" in Hampton
- Hampton University founded in 1868
- Virginia Air & Space Cente , Hampton
- Naval Shipyard Museum, Portsmouth
- Virginia Sports Hall of Fame & Museum, Portsmouth
- Children's Museum of Virginia, Portsmouth
These Coastal Cities and Hampton Roads is a preferred destination for weekends, weeks or longer. Be sure to start your planning now!